Friday, April 10, 2009

A Tradgedy Unlike Any Other

August 3, 1982,



I was working as a ranger down in Witherheimer Ridge, my buddy mark Kingsford was working on the weather and storm radar when we got an alert that there was an avalanche, piling up. The heavy winds and over occurring precipitation was causing a 3ft. slope at 20ft. south, 5600ft. elevation. I sent my men up to comfort the situation, but it was to late.
Six men were caught in the storm three rangers, one snowboarder and two skiers. The wind change caused a large gust to hit the slope and change direction to 12 ft. south of the station 5580ft. elevation. The storm was heading directly toward my station at 80mph. I didn’t have too much time to react. My reaction was to build a fort type structure that would convey myself to fall above the storm while it took the rest of the rubbish. With me was Park ranger Smith and my friend Karen. Smith grabbed hold of me and pushed me to the ground. He yelled, “ What are you thinking, work with us, don’t slack off.” I was unsure what to do, but I stayed calm. The station was exactly at 3400 foot. Elevation. We had seconds to work. My heart was racing the silence was unbearable.
We grabbed our safety kit and pagers and leaped out the station to our snowmobile. Heading 40degs. North we missed the storm by seconds…we thought. The occurring storm hit a slope and caused another heavy winded avalanche to go straight at us! Unlike the last one, no one had time to give out an alert. The avalanche was roaring down at 105 mph. Ranger Smith had buckled us up together when we left the station in case one got tagged in the storm, but now what?
A train like sound rushed through the pines, like an asteroid breaking a hole into the Earth’s surface. Somehow we all launched ourselves around a large tree and held on for dear life. I looked up and saw the storm racing after me and then all went black.
I woke up in the hospital and to my relief my partners were both still alive. The six men who were caught had a different tale. Three men, two rangers and a skier survived. The snowboarder later passed from hypothermia and the last park ranger got caught in the snow trying, to push his partner out!
We survived by working hard, keeping calm and letting god do his job. The avalanche crushed the tree we were on, but a sudden motion threw us to the top of the powder that was left behind. I thank my partners for working with me to save my life in such a tragedy, without them I would be dead! So, today I am honoring ranger smith this Medal of Honor for his courageous stride to keep us together and on top of things. He may not be much of a hero to most. Actually most are probably angry with him because he is the one they pay at the park office, but he’s my hero and he deserves something.
In memory of John Michaels (Ranger) and Hope Redd (Snowboarder).
God bless your families, throughout the rest of their lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment